Wednesday, February 8, 2017

WISDOM BENEFITS



 TRUST IN THE LORD

Proverbs 3:5-6
King James Version (KJV)

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
  • Study God’s Word and listen to the Holy Spirit.  Believe God’s prophets.  Understand that these are the true sources of godly knowledge.


REFLECTION

Many of us are acquainted with the Book of Proverbs; however, we are especially familiar with Chapter 3, verses 5 and 6. I remember as a young girl, I memorized these chapter and these two (2) verses. The operative word here is ‘memorized’. With the thoughts of a child, it was very ‘important’ for me to memorize scripture because this is something that I was taught in Sunday School. 

However, today I realize that as I was memorizing scriptures, I WAS NOT learning or committing God’s Word to my heart, soul, mind, and spirit. Friends, I tell you, little did I know that daily reading of God’s Word …especially Proverbs would endow me with Godly and life wisdom!  

Read HIS WORD!  It is not just enough to memorize the WORD of GOD. There must be clarity, understanding, application and meditation of what we read. There are 31 verses in Proverbs, a verse for every day of every month of the year.  Repetitious reading of proverbs (i.e. today is the 7th and we will read Proverbs 7) every month will soon reveal/manifest to us that there is guidance and direction for every facet of our lives, thereby we are begetting WISDOM!


Intimacy and Spiritual Breakthrough.

Two words in this passage are especially significant-the words “ways” and “acknowledge.
           
The word “ways” (Hebrew derek) means “a rod, a course, or a mode of action.”  It suggests specific opportunities a person may encounter on a recurring basis.  The most common “segment of opportunity” we experience regularly is each new day. It is as if this passage suggests that in all our “days” we should acknowledge God and in so doing He will direct our paths.


Of equal significance is the word “acknowledge” (Hebrew yada’). Elsewhere "yada” is translated “know,” meaning to know by observation, investigation, reflection, or firsthand experience. But the highest level of yada’ is in “direct, intimate contact.”  This refers to life-giving intimacy, as in marriage.  Applied to a spiritual context, it suggest an intimacy with God in prayer that conceives and births blessings and victories.  Joined to our Prov. text, we might conclude that if in all our “days” we maintain yada’ (direct, intimate contact with God), God promises to direct our paths toward fruitful, life-begetting, endeavors.



Some of us have heard this expression many times: “Ignorance is not an excuse.” This is a statement that I heard over and over again from my Dad, and now I try to apply Godly wisdom to my life daily. And I’d like to share the below with you that you now may enjoy the fruits of the Godly Wisdom of Proverbs 3:5 and 6:


  • 3:5Lean:  “Support yourself!” expresses the thought.

  • 3:6 Direct: (Hebrew yah-shar): Strong’s #3474. To be straight, right, upright, pleasing, good. Yashar appears in an intensive form here and means to “make straight and right.”  God will “straighten out” the path of His devoted, trusting servants.  From the verb comes the noun yosher, “uprightness” (Ps. 119:7) Job is described as blameless and upright (Job 1:1).  God’s promises to Cyrus was that the crooked places would be mad straight (Is. 45:2).  Finally, from yashar comes the poetical name “Jeshurun” (“Upright One”), a name always applied to Israel as God’s righteous nation (Deut. 33:5; Is. 44:2)
  • 3:6 Acknowledge: This suggests being fully aware of and in fellowship with Him.


S
o, I pray to our wonderful God Almighty, that today we simply pause and talk to God: ask him to guide us down the right paths, listen to what he is saying and seek his strength for all the pathways we are led down in life. We will also use Proverbs 3:5-6 as a meditative thought before beginning to pray:


H
elp to change me Lord. Please work in me so I will have a good testimony in all areas of my life. Allow me to acknowledge your works as you lead me in the right paths. Alert me to anything I may be hanging onto and trying to lead on my own.  Thanks for allowing me to be your child and being my father – I love you! I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to walk toward the purpose you have for me. In Jesus Name, Amen


In Christ,

Janet Irene Thomas
Playwright/Director/Screen Writer/Producer/Lyricist
Founder/CEO
Bible Stories Theatre of
Fine & Performing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment