Tuesday, June 28, 2016

THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE


…and being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.                Luke 22:44


Will you pray with me while I meditate on the Garden of Gethsemane?  Last night I went to the house of worship in remembrance of Good Friday. As I meditated on the goodness of Lord God Almighty, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude.  The Holy Spirit rose up in me and for moments that went on forever, I cried intense tears of unrestraint appreciation for the love my Abba Father has for me and you.  “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NIV)

Why was I so overcome last night?  Why was I so moved?  Why did the rivers of emotion bust forth with such conviction?  It’s not like this was my first time worshipping on a Good Friday. I’ve heard countless sermons before on the Garden of Gethsemane, I’ve heard, like you, the scripture John 3:16 over and over and over again, yet never the intensity of Holy Ghost movement as I experience last night. And now as I share with you, I must remind myself to not dwell on the why.  I most narrow my focus to the LOVE of my Abba Father.  It really is no mystery; it’s just love.  Hallelujah!  Note in that one verse of John 3:16, God did three things. Let’s count them: 1. Loved us. 2. Gave His ‘only’ 3. Promised eternal life!   Can we love HIM as much as HE loves us?  Can we?


Luke 22: 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.


The cup that Jesus wanted taken from him was not the cup of pain, rejection, torture, humiliation, and disgrace that he would suffer on the cross, but the pain of separation from His father God Almighty.  God will not look upon sin! Do we cry out like that of Christ Jesus when we knowingly sin?  Jesus was sinless!  Yet for our sake, He took on the sin debt of the world, to set us from death.  That was the anguish of Gethsemane.  

Are we earnestly praying for direction to walk in the footsteps of Jesus?  Are we crying out for forgiveness of sin that our names are written in the Book of Life?  Jesus died for us.   Why not LIVE for Him?


In Christ,

Playwright Janet Irene Thomas
Founder/CEO
Bible Stories Theatre of
Fine & Performing Arts (BSTFPA)


No comments:

Post a Comment