Friday, July 8, 2016

THE BEST MAN

 
John 3:28 KJV


“Ye yourselves bear me witness, that
I said, I am not the Christ, but that I
 am sent before him.”


J

ohn appeals to the testimony he had formerly given concerning Christ (John 3:28): You can bear me witness that I said, again and again, I am not the Christ, but I am sent before him.

See how steady and constant John was in his testimony to Christ, and not as a feather shaken with the wind; neither the frowns of the chief priests, nor the flatteries of his own disciples, could make him change his note.

Note: [1.] As a conviction to his disciples of the unreasonableness of their complaint. They had spoken of the witness which their master bore to Jesus (John 3:26): “Now,” said John, “do you not remember what the testimony was that I did bear? Call that to mind, and you will see your own complaining answered. Did I not say I am not the Christ? Why then do you set me up as a rival with him that is? Did I not say, I am sent before him? Why then does it seem strange to you that I should stand by and give way to him?”

[2.] It is a comfort to himself that he had never given his disciples any occasion thus to set him up in competition with Christ; but, on the contrary, had particularly cautioned them against this mistake, though he might have made a hand of it for himself. It is a satisfaction to faithful ministers when they have done what they could in their places to prevent any extravagances that their people ran into. John had, not only not encouraged them to hope that he was the Messiah, but had plainly told them the contrary, which was now a satisfaction to him. It is a common excuse for those who have undue honor paid them,—if the people will be deceived, let them; but that is an ill maxim for those to go by whose business it is to undeceive people. The lip of truth shall be established.




Meditate on this bold fact for a moment: You’re John the Baptist. I’m John the Baptist. And all believers are John the Baptist. If we have dedicated our lives to serving Jesus and HIS church, then that can only mean that we are the Best Man

It’s a relief we don’t have to play the Savior. It’s a privilege not to just be a guest. We decrease only to fill our God-given role; that of friends of the Bridegroom. What a beautiful picture of how Jesus looks at us in the big scope of things. We are his friends—his closest friends. With that comes responsibility but also great privilege. Sure, we’ll work harder than others. But we get to see him in his finest hour. We are criticized and unappreciated, but Sunday after Sunday we get to present his bride to him. We get to stand beside him, where he can see us, even if others can’t. I’ll gladly decrease in the sight of any guest if I can be God’s ‘best man’ for one day. I don’t know about you, but I yearn to be his friend and I sure do love HIS bride. Being the best man is where it’s at!


Jesus the Bridegroom is the Christ (3:28-30)
To this John replied, "A person can receive only what is given from heaven. [28] You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.' [29] The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. [30] He must become greater; I must become less.” (John 3:27-30)   Amen.




When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin.”
I'm whispering "I was lost." Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say..."I am a Christian," I don't speak of this with pride,
I'm confessing that I stumble and need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

 When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect, 
my flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain;
I have my share of heartaches so I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow




In Christ,



Playwright Janet Irene Thomas
Founder/CEO
Bible Stories Theatre of
Fine & Performing Arts (BSTFPA)




No comments:

Post a Comment