Tuesday, October 20, 2015

THE BOOK OF EZEKIEL (7)

                               IDOLATRY IN THE TEMPLE




 ezekiel 8:1-18King James Version (KJV)



8 Vision of the Glory of God
And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord God fell there upon me.
2 Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber.
3 And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.
4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

Image of Jealousy
5 Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.
6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.

Paintings on the Wall
7 And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.
8 Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.
9 And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.
10 So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.
11 And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.
12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth.

Weeping for Tammuz
13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

Sun Worship
15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.
16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.
17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations  which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.
18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.


The Holy Spirit at Work   Whether the prophetic revelation is presented symbolically in visions, signs, parabolic actions, or in human speech, Ezekiel claims for them the power and authority of the Holy Spirit. In addition, there are numerous references to the Spirit of God in the book. One might almost characterize the Book of Ezekiel as the "Acts of the Holy Spirit" in the Old Testament.


8:1–18 Ezekiel is sitting with the elders when he is suddenly transported in spirit to Jerusalem. In a vision he reports the idolatry and abominations taking place at the temple, speaks judgment against Jerusalem and the priests, and describes the throne of god and the departure of the divine glory from the temple.

8:1 The date is Sept. 17 592 B.C.

8:3 Brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem: Ezekiel had prophesied severe judgment against Jerusalem in chs. 1-7. Now he is given additional reasons for this judgment. "Visions of God". Image of jealousy: Any image would provoke God’s jealousy. This one, however, seems to be the image of Asherah, a fertility goddess who may be identified with Ashtarte (Ashtoteth) and the queen of heaven (see 2 Kin. 21:7; 23:4-6; Jer. 44:17-19).

8:10 Pourtrayed upon the wall round about: Perhaps the type of relief drawings seen on the walls of Egyptian temples.

8:11 The seventy men: represented the laity and had been appointed by God to guide Israel against such abominations as idolatry (Ex 24:9,10; Num. 11:16).

8:14 Tammuz: In pagan practices he was a Sumerian shepherd who married the goddess Ishtar. When he died, fertility ceased on Earth. Since he was a vegetation deity, the women of Judah were weeping for him (probably in the spring) in order to restore fertility by bringing him back from the dead.

8:16 The temple at Jerusalem was oriented to the east; to worship the sun one had to turn his back toward the temple

8:17 The branch refers to the worship of Tammuz (v. 14), for the cedar branch was a symbol of immortality associated with the cult of Tammuz. To put…to their nose, was their attempt to inhale the supposed life-giving powers of a revived Tammuz.


                  More of Christ revealed.….. to be cont’d




Playwright Janet Irene Thomas
Founder/President/CEO
Bible Stories Theatre of
Fine & Performing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment